Monday, March 26, 2012

Migrating

Hello People,

I currently have a MS Access database that will eventually be migrated to MS SQL Server. There won't be an application now, just the database and the reports. My doubts are on how easy this transition will be.
1 - After I build all the database with tables and relationships, is there a tool that helps me to import data?
2 - Is there a way to insert the data on the database other than writing the SQL codes, I mean maybe creating some 'forms'?
3 - Once the data is in, it there a way for me to create report on the SQL Server itself or do I need a report generator like Cristal Reports for example;
4 - If yes, then how easy it is to integrate them;
5 - Is it complicated to generate these reports or it is pretty much the same interface as in Access or Delphi?

Thanks a lot

Atha1 - After I build all the database with tables and relationships, is there a tool that helps me to import data?
The DTS Wizard that comes with sqlserver can help you out a lot here.

2 - Is there a way to insert the data on the database other than writing the SQL codes, I mean maybe creating some 'forms'? The DTS Wizard is a full wizard and easy to use, it will confront you with the tables from access though.
3 - Once the data is in, it there a way for me to create report on the SQL Server itself or do I need a report generator like Cristal Reports for example;SQLServer does not have reports ready to run or supports forms suchs as Access. Crystal Reports or any other reporting tool can help you out.
4 - If yes, then how easy it is to integrate them;
5 - Is it complicated to generate these reports or it is pretty much the same interface as in Access or Delphi?SQLServer can be accessed using ADO making it easy for tools as Crystal Reports, the same goes for Access. I'm not sure what you mean by Delphi, but Delphi supports ADO very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment