Friday, March 30, 2012

Migrating from Developer Edition to Standard Edition

Hello,
I have Reporting Sevices Developer Edition running on a Windows XP Pro
workstation. I want to migrate it to Reporting Services/SQL Server Standard
Edition on a Windows 2003 server. Can this be done? Since the edition of RS
changes, and the edition of SQL Server changes, and the hardware changes, I
need to know if this is feasible, or if it would be better to redeploy the
reports to the new server. BOL isn't very helpful in this area, and I don't
have time to learn C# to use the RS utility.
Thanks in advance.Given that it is so easy to redeploy and the fact that everything is
changing, my advice is to install new and then redeploy.
Bruce L-C
"Cable Guy" <Cable Guy@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DCD83C56-B311-45EB-90A6-1A5F45B5A87B@.microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> I have Reporting Sevices Developer Edition running on a Windows XP Pro
> workstation. I want to migrate it to Reporting Services/SQL Server
Standard
> Edition on a Windows 2003 server. Can this be done? Since the edition of
RS
> changes, and the edition of SQL Server changes, and the hardware changes,
I
> need to know if this is feasible, or if it would be better to redeploy the
> reports to the new server. BOL isn't very helpful in this area, and I
don't
> have time to learn C# to use the RS utility.
> Thanks in advance.|||Others would need to jump in for your answer. I can't really help you with
that.
Bruce L-C
"Cable Guy" <CableGuy@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:40C1D674-60C1-49AB-B8B6-5483EE8BDE2F@.microsoft.com...
> Hi Bruce,
> Thanks for the reply. That is what I was initially persuaded to do, but
> redeploying introduces the possibility of something being overlooked, and
> that is what we want to avoid. Is it possible to use the RS utility to do
> what we need it to do (i.e. copy the logical contents of the database to a
> new database/server/edition) and have it work properly? Do you know of
> any
> good documentation on the RS utility?
> "Bruce Loehle-Conger" wrote:
>> Given that it is so easy to redeploy and the fact that everything is
>> changing, my advice is to install new and then redeploy.
>> Bruce L-C
>> "Cable Guy" <Cable Guy@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:DCD83C56-B311-45EB-90A6-1A5F45B5A87B@.microsoft.com...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have Reporting Sevices Developer Edition running on a Windows XP Pro
>> > workstation. I want to migrate it to Reporting Services/SQL Server
>> Standard
>> > Edition on a Windows 2003 server. Can this be done? Since the edition
>> > of
>> RS
>> > changes, and the edition of SQL Server changes, and the hardware
>> > changes,
>> I
>> > need to know if this is feasible, or if it would be better to redeploy
>> > the
>> > reports to the new server. BOL isn't very helpful in this area, and I
>> don't
>> > have time to learn C# to use the RS utility.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>>|||Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the reply. That is what I was initially persuaded to do, but
redeploying introduces the possibility of something being overlooked, and
that is what we want to avoid. Is it possible to use the RS utility to do
what we need it to do (i.e. copy the logical contents of the database to a
new database/server/edition) and have it work properly? Do you know of any
good documentation on the RS utility?
"Bruce Loehle-Conger" wrote:
> Given that it is so easy to redeploy and the fact that everything is
> changing, my advice is to install new and then redeploy.
> Bruce L-C
> "Cable Guy" <Cable Guy@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:DCD83C56-B311-45EB-90A6-1A5F45B5A87B@.microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have Reporting Sevices Developer Edition running on a Windows XP Pro
> > workstation. I want to migrate it to Reporting Services/SQL Server
> Standard
> > Edition on a Windows 2003 server. Can this be done? Since the edition of
> RS
> > changes, and the edition of SQL Server changes, and the hardware changes,
> I
> > need to know if this is feasible, or if it would be better to redeploy the
> > reports to the new server. BOL isn't very helpful in this area, and I
> don't
> > have time to learn C# to use the RS utility.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment