Friday, March 30, 2012

Migrating from 2005 to 2005 Mobile

Hello All,

I have a database created on SQL Server 2005 and now I would like to migrate the table structure to a SQL Server 2005 Mobile database. Generating the scripts and running them against the mobile database generates a lot of error that I suppose are caused by not supported features or keywords on the mobile engine.

I would like to know what are the best procedure for doing such migration. Note that this has nothing to do with replicating, since the SQL Server 2005 database will be "discontinued" after the migration.

Thanks in Advance,

Igor Kondrasovas

you have a variety of options

1) you can create a new SQL Mobile database, add a subscription to it that subscribes to a publication which consists of the entire SS2005 database, and then merge replicate

2) you can script the DDL of the SS2005 database and run each statement a line at a time from a simple CF application on device to recreate the skeletal database

I walk you through how to do option 1 in the MSDN webcast I gave in Nov 2005.

http://msreadiness.com/WS_abstract.asp?eid=15003229

Darren

|||

Hello Darren,

Thanks for the help.

I was thinking that there I could just do that using the Management Studio.

I found out a tool called DataPort Wizard that is capable of doing such think, including table data very easily. I hope Microsoft will provide a way for doing that the same way this tool does (very easy by the way).

The other thing is that if you decide to create you own Mobile Database you cannot easily define contrainsts (as foreign keys) using the "Table Creation GUI". Only defining Primary Keys is Allowed. Besides, if you have foreign keys defined you cannot see them on the Colums definition on Management Studio, as you can see on the SQL Server 2005 database. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best Regards,

Igor Kondrasovas

|||

You are correct - you cannot do much in terms of defining constraints or altering tables visually in VS2005 or SS2005, but to be honest, the SQL to do this from code (or in SS2005 Mgmt Studio Query Window) is not difficult.

Darren

No comments:

Post a Comment