Friday, March 30, 2012

Migrating DTS packages on instances

I have problem and don't know how to resolve it.

I'm running multiple instances(developpement,acceptation, production) on one server with the same db's on each one of them.

Now I'm trying to find out a way to transfer DTS packages from one instance to another (I know it is straight-forward if you don't have to change anything) but in my case I would want to change the connection properties within the dts package e.g.

on my server\developpement instance I've created a DTS package with connection properties server name server\developpement

Now I want to transfer it to my server\acceptation instance and there I want the connection properties server name to be server\acceptation .

I've tried doing it with a dynamic properties task but I can't seem to find the instance name where the package is saved. I can only find the server name(environment variable).

This of course is no problem if you have but a few packages, but if you have over 50 to transfer

Any help would be more than welcome.

Rosko

PS: I know it is possible between two different servers using (local) as the servername but that's not an option for my boss.I have a very similar situation. I currently have global variables. When I migrate, I am changing this from Package Properties.

If I do not find a solution, I plan to have a flat file and read the information from that file using ActiveScript.

Please let me know if you have a better solution.|||See

"LoadFromSQLServer' & 'SaveToSQLServer'
in SQLServer Books online or on the web.
this can be called in VB and will repopulate on the other server.

For more advanced changes the attached structe can be populated and manipulated in VB to create new DTS Packages.|||Correct me if I am wrong. I think this still does not address the issue.

The issue is to set the datasource property to the connections within the package(s) while the package is migrated from one instance to another.

LoadFromSQLServer and SaveToSQLServer seem to help in migrating from one instance to another.|||Unfortunately jayaramanc,

The connections held in the connections object must also be updated with the new server name, as does any ADODB connections in ActiveXScript in the Steps object.

No comments:

Post a Comment