Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Migrating db's from 2000 to 2005 results in truncated columns?

Hi all,

Today I stumbled across something very strange. A couple weeks ago we migrated 2 servers from sql2000 to sql2005, and changed the default colation at the same time. The way I did it was I backed up all the user databases to *.bak files, uninstalled sql2000, installed sql2005 using the new default colation, and restored the databases. Today we discovered any columns that used to be char(xxx) were truncated to char(255), and the leftover went into a new column (i.e. a char(300) column became 2 columns, column1 char(255) and column2 char(45)).

Does this remotely make sense to anyone? I tested this out creating a dummy database and going from a 2k to 2k5 instance with the same colations would not split the columns, however from 2k to 2k5 with a different colation does. And so far it only appears to have affected the char datatype.

(note this is from sql2k sp3a to sql2k5 without sp1)

Is this a bug or am I just whacked?

Thanks

Anyone?|||

I'm moving this thread to the database engine forum, where you're more likely to get help.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment