Monday, March 26, 2012

Migrating a database

We have a database running under SQL Server 7 on a Win NT server. We
have recently added Win2K servers, created a new domain and installed
SQL Server 7 on one of the servers. I would like to be able to log into
either domain from a workstation, use Enterprise Manager to access
either database and use the migration tools to copy the database from
the NT server to the 2K server.
We have created a trust relationship that allows me to log into either
domain, but when I try to use Enterprise Manager to create a
registration to the database on the other domain, or try to use the
migration tool to copy the database, I get an error saying that my user
account cannot log into the other system. ( I have the same user name
and password on both domains and domain admin privileges).
Can this be done directly? How?
Do I need "linked servers"? -- It doesn't like my account to create this
either.
Do I need a "remote server"?
Reading the documentation creates more questions than answers. I would
appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. ThanksWhat is the exact error you are seeing and which domain are you logging
into, the new one or the other one.
Rand
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.|||When I'm logged into the NT domain and trying to register SQL Server on the 2K
server, I get "login failed for user 'patenaude'".
When I'm logged into the 2K domain and trying to register SQL server on the NT
server, I get " loged failed for user 'null'. Not associated with a trusted
SQL Server connection."
I get similar messages trying to set up a linked server.
"Rand Boyd [MS]" wrote:
> What is the exact error you are seeing and which domain are you logging
> into, the new one or the other one.
> Rand
> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.|||When you are logged into the Windows NT domain are you trying to register
the SQL Server using NT or SQL authentication. The error indicates SQL
authentication. If so does the 'patenaude' SQL login exist? Is the password
correct?
When you are logging into the Win 2K domain, the error indicates that you
cannot be validated on the domain controller. That is where the null is
coming from. Check the security log of the domain controller for this
domain for errors related to this account. Also if you are logged on to the
workstation using a local account you will see this error.
Rand
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.|||I changed the system on the 2K server to use NT authentication, so now I get
the same error message about my user account not being valid. (The user id is
good, the password is good.) My workstation is a member of the NT domain and
the trust relationship is set up to the point where I can log into either
domain. The user name is the same on both domains. I have tried registering
across the domain from both directions, using the default log-in with NT
authentication, using the specific login with my user name and using the
specific log-in with each of the domains added ( NTdomain\user & 2Kdomain\user)
I get the same results each time. I looked in the event logs on the servers and
there is no mention of the attempt in any of the logs.
"Rand Boyd [MS]" wrote:
> When you are logged into the Windows NT domain are you trying to register
> the SQL Server using NT or SQL authentication. The error indicates SQL
> authentication. If so does the 'patenaude' SQL login exist? Is the password
> correct?
> When you are logging into the Win 2K domain, the error indicates that you
> cannot be validated on the domain controller. That is where the null is
> coming from. Check the security log of the domain controller for this
> domain for errors related to this account. Also if you are logged on to the
> workstation using a local account you will see this error.
> Rand
> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment