Monday, March 26, 2012

migrating 7.0 to 2000

i have computer with windows 2000 an sql 7.0 (computerA)
goal is windows 2003 with sql 2005

I see my choices as is:

A) upgrade win2k to 2k3 then upgrade sql7 on w2k3 to sql2k5 on win2k3.
(i see many potential problems with that)

B) have computerB with clean install of win2k3 and install sql2k5 on it.
if this is the case, what is the best / easiest way to get the database from 7 to 2k5? Database copy wizard? dts? attaching the db?

Anything else I should lookout for ?

thnx,
vextThere might be better answers, but I'd set up the new server with the software that you intend to run on it (Windows 2003, SQL 2005). I'd backup the existing database, and restore that backup onto the new server.

-PatP|||what is the actual difference between using the Database copy wizard and Restoring a backup? and is the datafile still the same structure in 2005? will the restore upgrade if not?|||Theoretically, there shouldn't be a difference between Restoring a Backup and Copying a Database. That leads to all kinds of amusing observations, but I'll behave myself (at least for now). The primary difference is that restoring a backup is logically much more "solid" in that there are far fewer ways for it to go wrong...

The Copy Database Wizard is free to make many assumptions, many of which have a significant impact on performance and operational simplicity. These assumptions should not affect the copy of the quality, but I'm often unpleasantly surprised by them.

Restoring a backup is much less problematic for me. While some things (features, objects, etc) might change due to the difference in software releases (SQL 7 to SQL 2005 is a big jump), at least in my experience there will be far fewer surprises than you'd get via the Copy Database Wizard.

-PatP|||understood.

thnx for the input. I will do a restore when the time comes. thnxsql

No comments:

Post a Comment