Monday, March 26, 2012

Migrate w/o upgrade wizard

Hello,
I want to migrate my 6.5 DBs to SQL2K. Problem is that I can't get the
Upgrade Wizard's named pipe transfer to work in two server environment
(one of them is the latest WinNT4 and the other - the latest Win2K).
I've simply lost my patience reading white papers and trying to get it
running. So now I'm thinking of doing w/o it.
I think the easiest way would be to: (1) install a replica of original
6.5 on a spare server along with a fresh copy of SQL2K, (2) do a single
machine upgrade (using wizard), (3) from the spare SQL2K transfer master
and msdb stuff and new DB's to a production SQL2K.
This approach might be inept though. What would be the best/tested way
to go?
--
Many thanks,
PabloHi,
Yes, I agree with your approach. But I suggest you to do the activity in
your SQL 6.5 machine itself. Because the SQL 2000 installing will not
touch/tamper SQL 2000. This will be a totally new copy.
Steps
1. Install SQL 2000 and sp3a in the SQL 6.5 machine, provided you have
enough space in hard disk to do upgrade
(We should have atleast 1.5 times data space in SQL 6.5)
2. Run the upgrade wizard on all system and required user databases
3. Once the upgrade is successful , you can move all the SQL 2000 databases
to New machine with SQL 2000 and SP3a.
4. Once the SQL 2000 is up in new Server, Change the SQL server name using
SP_DROPSERVER <Old_Server_name>
and SP_ADDSERVER <Server>,LOCAL
Thanks
Hari
MCDBA
"msnews.microsoft.com" <pablo@.this_isnt_my_email.cc> wrote in message
news:uEf0aF8KEHA.620@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
> I want to migrate my 6.5 DBs to SQL2K. Problem is that I can't get the
> Upgrade Wizard's named pipe transfer to work in two server environment
> (one of them is the latest WinNT4 and the other - the latest Win2K).
> I've simply lost my patience reading white papers and trying to get it
> running. So now I'm thinking of doing w/o it.
> I think the easiest way would be to: (1) install a replica of original
> 6.5 on a spare server along with a fresh copy of SQL2K, (2) do a single
> machine upgrade (using wizard), (3) from the spare SQL2K transfer master
> and msdb stuff and new DB's to a production SQL2K.
> This approach might be inept though. What would be the best/tested way
> to go?
> --
> Many thanks,
> Pablo
>

No comments:

Post a Comment