Friday, March 23, 2012

Migrate to new SQL Server

Hi
I'm currently setting up a new SQL Server 2000, and I'm in the process of
planning our migration. What is the best way to migrate databases and
logins?
Should I use the "Copy database wizard" for migration, or should I start by
enabling all logins manually on the new server, manually copy all dts
packages, and finally use "Copy Database Wizard" to only copy over the
database?
I have a small enviroment with only 8 small databases, and aprox 20 users
who typically all have access to the databases.
/A.Avoid the copy database wizard. To move the databases use
Backup/Restore, or Detach/Attach.
To move logins, see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246133 "How to
transfer logins and passwords between instances of SQL Server".
When I have moved DTS packages I simply opened them on the source
server, then did a Save As and specified the other server.
Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:40:21 +0200, "Andy.I" <Andy.I@.community.nospam>
wrote:
>Hi
>I'm currently setting up a new SQL Server 2000, and I'm in the process of
>planning our migration. What is the best way to migrate databases and
>logins?
>Should I use the "Copy database wizard" for migration, or should I start by
>enabling all logins manually on the new server, manually copy all dts
>packages, and finally use "Copy Database Wizard" to only copy over the
>database?
>I have a small enviroment with only 8 small databases, and aprox 20 users
>who typically all have access to the databases.
>/A.|||You may also use the following tool for tranferrng DTS packages..
http://www.sqldts.com/242.aspx
Thank you,
Saleem Hakani
WWW.SQLCOMMUNITY.COM
SQL Server Tips, SQL Server Scripts, SQL Server Forums, SQL Server Blogs,
SQL Server Radio, SQL Server Events..
"Roy Harvey (SQL Server MVP)" wrote:
> Avoid the copy database wizard. To move the databases use
> Backup/Restore, or Detach/Attach.
> To move logins, see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246133 "How to
> transfer logins and passwords between instances of SQL Server".
> When I have moved DTS packages I simply opened them on the source
> server, then did a Save As and specified the other server.
> Roy Harvey
> Beacon Falls, CT
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:40:21 +0200, "Andy.I" <Andy.I@.community.nospam>
> wrote:
> >Hi
> >I'm currently setting up a new SQL Server 2000, and I'm in the process of
> >planning our migration. What is the best way to migrate databases and
> >logins?
> >Should I use the "Copy database wizard" for migration, or should I start by
> >enabling all logins manually on the new server, manually copy all dts
> >packages, and finally use "Copy Database Wizard" to only copy over the
> >database?
> >I have a small enviroment with only 8 small databases, and aprox 20 users
> >who typically all have access to the databases.
> >
> >/A.
>|||> To move logins, see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246133 "How to
> transfer logins and passwords between instances of SQL Server".
> When I have moved DTS packages I simply opened them on the source
> server, then did a Save As and specified the other server.
> Roy Harvey
> Beacon Falls, CT
Are there any reason doing a dedicated move of the logins if I use Windows
Login on both the new and the old server? All logins are stored in A.D so
shouldn't it be sufficient to just add the apropriate A.D groups on the new
SQL Server and grant those the nececary rights on the databases?|||That would do the same thing. However, it would cause administrative
overhead.
That's why it's recommended moving logins using SSIS.
--
Ekrem Önsoy
"Andy.I" <Andy.I@.community.nospam> wrote in message
news:8883146D-F374-4C29-A347-C0214B0D5E6C@.microsoft.com...
>> To move logins, see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246133 "How to
>> transfer logins and passwords between instances of SQL Server".
>> When I have moved DTS packages I simply opened them on the source
>> server, then did a Save As and specified the other server.
>> Roy Harvey
>> Beacon Falls, CT
> Are there any reason doing a dedicated move of the logins if I use Windows
> Login on both the new and the old server? All logins are stored in A.D so
> shouldn't it be sufficient to just add the apropriate A.D groups on the
> new SQL Server and grant those the nececary rights on the databases?
>

No comments:

Post a Comment