Friday, March 23, 2012

Migrate to active directory

Hi,
I want to migrate my sqlserver to active directory.
Someone can tell me what is the procedure and how can i do ?
Someone have already do this migration ?
RegardsHi,
I want to migrate my sqlserver to active directory.
Someone can tell me what is the procedure and how can i do ?

Someone have already do this migration ?

Regards

Um, do you mean publish your SQL Server to AD? Migrate would imply that you are taking the data out of SQL and putting it somewhere in AD. Publish is an SQL feature that MS put in to allow users to search for SQL metadata (server names, db names, replication publications) through the AD interface.

Can you clarify?

Regards,

hmscott|||it's only the migration of the physical server to AD|||A lot of this answer is going to depend on your AD structure. There are more questions that I can reasonably run up in an online thread, but you'd start with the basics: How many trees, do they have mutual trust, how many OUs total, how many OUs in the AD tree you're targeting.

Whatever you do, do NOT make your SQL Server a DC. That is extremely painful for both SQL and AD.

-PatP|||no i don't want to migrat the sqlserver to DC.
I have DC and system server and database server i want to migrate database server in the AD domain.

regards|||no i don't want to migrat the sqlserver to DC.
I have DC and system server and database server i want to migrate database server in the AD domain.

regards

Just to be sure that I understand:
1. You have a standalone database server (ie, not a member of any AD domain).
2. You have a domain to which you want to join the standalone server

Correct?

If so, I have never done this before. All the servers I have built have been built as a member of a domain before I installed SQL. That being said, I don't think that you will have any issues. Simply join the server to the domain the regular way. Once that is done, you can then change the startup service account for SQL Server (and for SQL Agent if deisred).

I don't think anything bad will happen, but as I said, I haven't done this myself (or if I have, it was ages ago).

Regards,

hmscott

No comments:

Post a Comment