Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Migrate from user instance to native db in SQL Server Express ?

Hello,
I am currently looking at migrating a database which has been running in
"user instance" mode, onto the standard sql server express mode. Basically I
need to be able to connect to the database while it's running from other
scripts and the management studio, which I cannot do nicely while the DB is
running in user mode.
Is there any tools or good instructions on doing this?
At this point I've re-created the database from scratch and imported data,
however I am looking for a cleaner/effective way of doing this. Any
suggestions?Hi
I am not a SQLExpress expert, ut SSEUTIL will allow you to attach to a user
instance of SQL Express.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fa87e828-173f-472e-a85c-27ed01cf6b02&DisplayLang=en
You could then detach (sp_detach_db) the database and re-attach
(sp_attach_db) it to the main instance of SQL Server.
You would need to change the connection string in the application that
creates the user instance to reference the main instance of SQL Server and
not create the user instance.
John
"NSiggel" wrote:
> Hello,
> I am currently looking at migrating a database which has been running in
> "user instance" mode, onto the standard sql server express mode. Basically I
> need to be able to connect to the database while it's running from other
> scripts and the management studio, which I cannot do nicely while the DB is
> running in user mode.
> Is there any tools or good instructions on doing this?
> At this point I've re-created the database from scratch and imported data,
> however I am looking for a cleaner/effective way of doing this. Any
> suggestions?
>

No comments:

Post a Comment