Monday, March 19, 2012

Migrate from Access to MSDE

Hi,
We have been using VB and Access to collect our date for several years.
Now our Access database is reaching 2 gb and we will soon have to switch to
sql server.
As intermediate step I downloaded MSDE2000 relA and istalled it.
I tried to use "Upsizing Wizard" but at the end, even if let me go trough to
process, it does not create the project file.
What do I do wrong?
Thank you
You have the same size limitations in MSDE as you do in Access. Your
MSDE database will actually be larger than it would be in Access due
to the increased overhead involved in SQL Server, but it's not clear
if that is a problem or not since you have not posted any error
messages. You can get more information about the upsizing wizard and
its many points of failure from the upsizing whitepaper, available at
http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;q294407.
--Mary
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:39:06 -0700, "WilliamD"
<WilliamD@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>We have been using VB and Access to collect our date for several years.
>Now our Access database is reaching 2 gb and we will soon have to switch to
>sql server.
>As intermediate step I downloaded MSDE2000 relA and istalled it.
>I tried to use "Upsizing Wizard" but at the end, even if let me go trough to
>process, it does not create the project file.
>What do I do wrong?
>Thank you
|||I know about size limitations, but I would like to get more familiar with
SQLServer (before we have to migrate in few months), using MSDE. Then I
believe it would take no effort to migrate to SQL Server, is that right?
I tried Upsizing Wizard with a small database with only 2 tables. I did get
no error message, but Access did not created the project file. Into the
upsizing report, that is created at the end, for each table it says "skipped".
"Mary Chipman" wrote:

> You have the same size limitations in MSDE as you do in Access. Your
> MSDE database will actually be larger than it would be in Access due
> to the increased overhead involved in SQL Server, but it's not clear
> if that is a problem or not since you have not posted any error
> messages. You can get more information about the upsizing wizard and
> its many points of failure from the upsizing whitepaper, available at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;q294407.
> --Mary
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:39:06 -0700, "WilliamD"
> <WilliamD@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>
|||Hi William,
I'd strongly suggest you get a copy of the developer edition of sql server.
It's about $49 USD and provides a whole raft of tools that will be useful to
you. You might have more luck using SQL Enterprise Manager to import your
tables, etc. from your Access databases. You get a lot more control and can
see a lot more of what's going on.
HTH,
Greg Low [MVP]
MSDE Manager SQL Tools
www.whitebearconsulting.com
"WilliamD" <WilliamD@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:AFE56A8D-9A3C-4E00-AB07-52D07D986C0A@.microsoft.com...
> I know about size limitations, but I would like to get more familiar with
> SQLServer (before we have to migrate in few months), using MSDE. Then I
> believe it would take no effort to migrate to SQL Server, is that right?
> I tried Upsizing Wizard with a small database with only 2 tables. I did
get
> no error message, but Access did not created the project file. Into the
> upsizing report, that is created at the end, for each table it says
"skipped".[vbcol=seagreen]
> "Mary Chipman" wrote:
switch to[vbcol=seagreen]
trough to[vbcol=seagreen]
|||Did you read the upsizing whitepaper? It tells you why the wizard
skips tables, which it does for a myriad of reasons. I'd definitely
follow Greg's recommendation to purchase the Developer edition to
familiarize yourself with SQL Server. You can use it to develop a
solution which you then deploy using MSDE (the license agreement
prohibits using the Dev edition on a production server). Access/MSDE
alone do not have the capability to develop applications and neither
are much use in learning SQL Server.
--Mary
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:51:03 -0700, "WilliamD"
<WilliamD@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
>I know about size limitations, but I would like to get more familiar with
>SQLServer (before we have to migrate in few months), using MSDE. Then I
>believe it would take no effort to migrate to SQL Server, is that right?
>I tried Upsizing Wizard with a small database with only 2 tables. I did get
>no error message, but Access did not created the project file. Into the
>upsizing report, that is created at the end, for each table it says "skipped".
>"Mary Chipman" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment