Monday, March 19, 2012

Migrate DB from MSDE to Sql Server 2005 Express

Hi - is it possible to migrate to SQL Server 2005 Express from MSDE - and still use ASP.Net 1.1? Or will Express only work with ASP.Net 2.0?
My MSDE database has simple SPs (no functions), and straight forward tables - can I just use DTS from Enterprise Manager to transfer this from MSDE to SQL Express, or create a backup, and import that into SQL Express 2005?
Also, there was a sort of Enterprise Manager available for SQL Server 2005 Express at one point - does anyone know where to find that?
Thanks for any pointers/help.
MarkSQL Server Express comes with Express manager a separate install but I don't think the new DTS Integration Services is part of it but the product is still in beta so download the developer edition and use the integration services to do the migration. The management studio the replacement of Enterprise manager is a separate install under management tools. Try the thread below to download the developer edition. Hope this helps.
http://forums.asp.net/1069636/ShowPost.aspx|||

Hi - thank you Caddre.

Can I still use the old ASP.Net 1.1 framwework with the SQL Server 2005 Express though? Or will it only work with .Net2?

Thanks, Mark

|||SQL Server 2005 Express was released July 29, 2004 with Asp.net 2.0 for public beta 1 so I am sure you can use it with Asp.net 1.1. All you need is permissions and connection string, try the link below for Microsoft provided tutorial. Hope this helps.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000010.asp|||Hi.
When I tried the SQL Express beta earlier this year, I had some troubleconnecting to the database from a ASP.NET 1.1 application.
I found out that (at least in my environment) I had to connect to thedatabase using tcp/ip. In may case (the database was on the samemachine as the ASP.NET application) I used Server=127.0.0.1,1433instead of Server=(local) in the connection string.
It should also be possible to use Server=servername,portnumber instead of hard coding theip number.

No comments:

Post a Comment