Wednesday, March 7, 2012

MICROSOFT##SSEE blocks Surface Area Configuration in SQL 2005?

I am running a Windows Small Business Server with SQL Server 2005 on it. I am having a problem in that one of the applications I'm running needs to acess the xp_cmdshell component which is disabled by default. The problem I'm running into is, trying to run the Surface Area Configuration Wizard to turn this on fails because the system is unable to access the MICROSOFT##SSEE instance on the machine.

I dont want to modify the MICROSOFT##SSEE instance, I want to modify a different instance but the wizard detects ALL instances of SQL and craps out trying to access the MICROSOFT##SSEE instance.

Is there a way for me to activate the xp_cmdshell component on other instances without the wizard?

Hi,

Run this code in your query window:

Code Snippet

sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell', 1

reconfigure

Regards,

Janos

|||

I get the following message:

Msg 15123, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_configure, Line 51

The configuration option 'xp_cmdshell' does not exist, or it may be an advanced option.

|||

Hi Ron,

First you need to switch on the advanced options, then configure the xp_cmdshell.

run this please:

Code Snippet

sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

reconfigure

sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell', 1

reconfigure

regards,

Janos

|||Thank you, that did the trick... now I just have to get my code to work <grin>

No comments:

Post a Comment