Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Microsoft Word Delivery Extension & Use of web client

1. Is there a Microsoft Word or RTF delivery extension available for SQL
Reporting Services?
If not, is there any technique of producing the same with XML and XSLT?
2. To solve the security extension problem on a standard edition:
I am thinking of using web client on a filter page on the web server to
connect to the reporting server so that I don't bypass the web server when a
URL access request comes thru.
I mean, the URL for the report viewer won't be reporting server, instead it
will be an aspx (filter) page within the web server. The filter on the web
server will intercept and in turn impersonate a user on the report server and
render a report in the report viewer.
My question: I have not used web clients from web server before. Will it
affect the performance of web server? Is the above theory make sense at all?
I haven't implemented it.
Thanks,
Sri.The XML/XSLT idea is probably your best bet. Years ago I created a custom
RTF generator (to create nice-looking documents from a CASE tool). It's
easy once you do two things:
(1) Hunt down the RTF specification (from Microsoft I think), and learn the
basic syntax.
(2) Create a Word document that looks like what you want and save it to RTF
as a baseline/reference.
Then, you'll be armed and dangerous -- especially if you know how to do
XSLT.
--
Cheers,
'(' Jeff A. Stucker
\
Business Intelligence
www.criadvantage.com
---
"Sri" <Sri@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8B848583-4F7E-490F-9E77-95CD40C30072@.microsoft.com...
> 1. Is there a Microsoft Word or RTF delivery extension available for SQL
> Reporting Services?
> If not, is there any technique of producing the same with XML and XSLT?
> 2. To solve the security extension problem on a standard edition:
> I am thinking of using web client on a filter page on the web server to
> connect to the reporting server so that I don't bypass the web server when
> a
> URL access request comes thru.
> I mean, the URL for the report viewer won't be reporting server, instead
> it
> will be an aspx (filter) page within the web server. The filter on the web
> server will intercept and in turn impersonate a user on the report server
> and
> render a report in the report viewer.
> My question: I have not used web clients from web server before. Will it
> affect the performance of web server? Is the above theory make sense at
> all?
> I haven't implemented it.
> Thanks,
> Sri.
>|||Thanks Jeff. I will investigate.
"Jeff A. Stucker" wrote:
> The XML/XSLT idea is probably your best bet. Years ago I created a custom
> RTF generator (to create nice-looking documents from a CASE tool). It's
> easy once you do two things:
> (1) Hunt down the RTF specification (from Microsoft I think), and learn the
> basic syntax.
> (2) Create a Word document that looks like what you want and save it to RTF
> as a baseline/reference.
> Then, you'll be armed and dangerous -- especially if you know how to do
> XSLT.
> --
> Cheers,
> '(' Jeff A. Stucker
> \
> Business Intelligence
> www.criadvantage.com
> ---
> "Sri" <Sri@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8B848583-4F7E-490F-9E77-95CD40C30072@.microsoft.com...
> > 1. Is there a Microsoft Word or RTF delivery extension available for SQL
> > Reporting Services?
> >
> > If not, is there any technique of producing the same with XML and XSLT?
> >
> > 2. To solve the security extension problem on a standard edition:
> >
> > I am thinking of using web client on a filter page on the web server to
> > connect to the reporting server so that I don't bypass the web server when
> > a
> > URL access request comes thru.
> > I mean, the URL for the report viewer won't be reporting server, instead
> > it
> > will be an aspx (filter) page within the web server. The filter on the web
> > server will intercept and in turn impersonate a user on the report server
> > and
> > render a report in the report viewer.
> >
> > My question: I have not used web clients from web server before. Will it
> > affect the performance of web server? Is the above theory make sense at
> > all?
> > I haven't implemented it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sri.
> >
>
>|||Hi,
You can check http://officewriter.softartisans.com/officewriter-250.aspx
for the first question.
creating a 'filter' will not affect performance
--
Message posted via http://www.sqlmonster.com

No comments:

Post a Comment