Monday, February 20, 2012

Microsoft sql server smo

Im trying to use

Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo

to load a dropdown of available sql server databases.

On my computer it works fine but when i try and run the application on my virtual it throws and unhandled exception that it couldn't load SMO assembly. I know this is because 2005 isn't installed on my virtual but i want to be able to catch this error and just ignore it and load a blank dropdown. I tried putting try catch blocks around the load but it still errors. I then tried instead of importing it i tried to reference smo by using the whole name inside of my try catch block.

Does anyone know how to catch this error

Try' Create a new connection to the selected server nameDim srvConnAs New Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection(txtServerName.Text)Dim srvSqlAs Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server' Log in using SQL authentication instead of Windows authentication srvConn.LoginSecure =False' Give the login username srvConn.Login = txtUserID.Text' Give the login password srvConn.Password = txtPassword.Text' Create a new SQL Server object using the connection we created srvSql =New Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server(srvConn)' Loop through the databases listFor Each dbServerAs Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.DatabaseIn srvSql.Databases' Add database to combobox txtDatabase.Items.Add(dbServer.Name)Next Catch exAs Exception MsgBox(ex.Message)End Try

I know this is because 2005 isn't installed on my virtual but i want to be able to catch this error and just ignore it and load a blank dropdown

smo object should work on a sql 2000 server, I have done it before. What is th exact error message your getting?

|||

What i have read tells me that smo is new in 2005 and does not work in 2000. But any case i want to ignore this error and just populate the dropdowns as blank if no sql server is installed at all.

The exact error message is:

Could not load file or assembly Microsoft.SqlServer.SMO
Version 9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral
PublicKey Token=89845dcd8080cc91 or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified

No comments:

Post a Comment